25 August 2021
Who’d have thought it? It’s now over 500 days since we entered our first lockdown (seems like a lifetime ago, right?) and, effectively, the world changed overnight.
With typical British roll-your-sleeves-up stoicism, businesses continue adapt to ever-shifting guidelines and customers are easing back into a hybrid way of life. It’s a little bit limbo, but it’s better than it was. And despite new variants, our vaccination programme is rolling out with pace and some aplomb (boosters next up). People are even venturing (squinting in the sunlight) overseas. Sports stadia are full. And retail and hospitality are gratefully welcoming customers (despite struggling to recruit talent and dealing with stock shortages).
Job vacancies are at a record high (nudging 1m) as the job market continues to ‘rebound robustly’. With unemployment around 1 in 20, one of the key challenges up the road is the high demand for skilled workers.
With furlough finishing in September, estimates suggest that the cost so far is in the region of £66bn. Over 1.9 million people remain on furlough, but this is down from a peak of 5.1m back in January. We all await the short, medium and long-term impact of this, CBILS, BBLS and other support schemes – but the reality is that things are moving, we just to remain nimble footed.
At Cooper Parry, our experts have been happy to pick up on any queries relating to this post-pandemic business world since March 2020 – helping you avoid pesky pot holes in the process. And, as long as you have the questions, they’ll have the answers. If you have any queries, please get in touch HERE.
As you hopefully enjoy the rest of the summer months, here’s a handful of topical items from across our business that may well be of interest:
- FD SEMINAR 2021: Our annual FD Seminar returns on 8 September, bringing you need-to-know updates and insights across the whole spectrum of finance.
- FEMALE ENTREPRENEURS TAKING ON THE SYSTEM. AND WINNING. A Hub CP article with we are radikl co-founder, Sarah King.
- INTERNATIONAL EXPANSION: ESSENTIAL TAX PLANNING TIPS You’ve demonstrated your potential. You’ve got the funding you need. And now, you’re thinking about expanding overseas. So, what’s next?
- VALUE ADDED NEWS: VAT & INDIRECT TAX UPDATES –A lot’s been happening in the world of VAT and Indirect Tax. Check out our team’s latest monthly round-up.
- THE TRUTH ABOUT INVESTMENT COSTS This invaluable guide will tell you everything you need to know to get a grip on your investment costs and understand why they matter.
Meantime, stay safe, remain ‘glass half full’ positive and enjoy what will hopefully be a brighter (in so many ways) rest of the year.
The guidance on these web pages has been provided for general information only and has been prepared from a variety of sources which have not been verified by Cooper Parry. Government and Treasury guidelines are changing rapidly as the overall response to COVID-19 develops and our guidance is based on information available at the time of writing. Cooper Parry specifically disclaims any liability for any loss, damage or expense of whatsoever nature which is caused by your reliance on the guidance.